I HAVE TO ADMIT. THE THOUGHT OF A VEGGIE BURGER NEVER APPEALED TO ME. UNTIL I TRIED THESE.
Portobello mushrooms are so meaty, you’ll never know what you’re missing. This is based on a Gwyneth Paltrow recipe from her book My Father’s Daughter (which is pretty brilliant).
You need to roast the tomatoes ahead of time so plan for a bit of prep, but once you have your tomatoes, this recipe is super quick!
HERE’S MY TAKE:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 sweet yellow onion, peeled and cut into slices
- 4 sesame wheat burger buns (or any type you like)
- 4 vine tomatoes, halved (slow roast them ahead of time; see recipe below)
- Slices of mozarella cheese (or any cheese you like)
- Salt and pepper
*Don’t forget to scroll down for your Savory Sounds cooking soundtrack.
- You need to slow-roasted the tomatoes ahead of time. Preheat the oven to 275° F/135° C . Place the halved tomatoes on a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some salt over the tomatoes. Put the pan in the oven and allow them to roast until they look wrinkly and sun-dried. **THIS TAKES 3-5 HOURS. So you need to roast them ahead of time. Once roasted, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
- When you’re ready to make the burgers, set your overn to the broil/grill setting.
- Cut 3 slits into each of the portobello mushrooms (be careful not to cut all the way through). Marinade the mushrooms in the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and a bit of salt an pepper. Let that sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the mushrooms with a slice of onion on each in the oven. Grill until the onions are soft.
- Dab a bit of olive oil on the burger buns, and heat them under the grill.
- Assemble the mushroom, onion, tomato, adding a slice of cheese onto of the bun. Put that until the grill for a
If you’re looking for a healthier option, you can leave out the buns and cheese, . You’ll still have “meaty”, juicy burgers.
FORGIVE ME, BUT I’M GOING A BIT TOP 40-ISH THIS WEEK. IT’S VERY UNLIKE ME BUT I DO HAVE A FEW CHART ADDICTIONS LATELY.
For instance, the 80s vibe from electro-pop band YACHT in I Thought the Future Would be Cooler.
Here’s a reggae remix of Justin Bieber’s Sorry.
And finally, Never Forget You from British-Swedish duo.