THIS IS MY GO-TO SUMMER SALAD (although I started making it in the spring).
This is based on an Ottolenghi recipe. It’s full of flavors that you’d never think of putting together, especially the caraway seeds. They change the taste of the entire salad.
HERE’S MY TAKE:
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut in half lengthways, then each half cut widthways into slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp caraway seeds, toasted (Essential!!)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Salt and black pepper
- handful of dill, roughly chopped
- 75g rocket/arugula
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled, quartered lengthways, and cut into wedges
- 60g pecorino cheese, thinly shaved (I use a vegetable peeler)
*Don’t forget to scroll down for your Savory Sounds cooking soundtrack.
- Mix the lemon juice and vinegar in a large bowl.
- Add the fennel and leave to soften while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Dry roast the caraway seeds in a pan.
- Put the oil, maple syrup, caraway, quarter-teaspoon of salt and some black pepper into a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the fennel and stir all the ingredients well.
- Add the dill, rocket, pear and pecorino. Toss well and serve.
PS. You may need to make this in buckets because it’s finger-licking good!
HERE ARE TWO REMIXES that I think go with the sweetness of this recipe: