THIS IS A VERY UN-FRENCH FRENCH TOAST. IT’S A SAVORY VERSION OF THE CLASSIC. MY MOTHER GREW UP EATING THIS, AND IT’S DELISH.
I love breakfast and brunch dishes. This will soon become a weekend staple for you (I promise!). It’s seriously easy-peasy. Add or subtract ingredients to your taste.
HERE’S MY TAKE:
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 8 slices bread (unenriched white is best for this, but you can you use any type you like)
- 1 jalapeno chilli chopped (or less if you’d prefer less spicy)
- 1 handful of coriander/cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- tiny bit of vegetable oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk together.
- Heat a skillet on high heat with the dab of oil.
- Soak each slice of break in the egg mixture, coating both sides thoroughly.
- Fry each slice on the skillet until golden brown. Then flip to cook other side.
I WENT TO THIS PRE-WORK DANCE PARTY CALLED DAYBREAKER. THEY HAVE THEM ALL OVER THE WORLD, TYPICALLY FROM 6-9 AM.
Snap! – Oops Up (Rayko Retro Power Edit)
The Bucketheads – The Bomb (Speaker Buster Remix)
Real McCoy – Another Night (2014 Remix)
ATB – Till I Come
The Original – I Luv U Baby