FOR ME SUMMER MEANS SIMPLE, FRESH FLAVORS. When it’s hot, no one wants to be weighed down by stodgy food.
This is the perfect summer pasta. It’s from a Gwyneth Paltrow cookbook.
It’s incredibly easy, and incredibly delicious. Click here for her recipe.
HERE’S MY TAKE:
- 3/4 box of spaghetti (use can use any pasta, but I think spaghetti works best)
- Sea salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Handful fresh basil leaves
*Don’t forget to scroll down for your Savory Sounds cooking soundtrack.
- Boil the spaghetti in salted boiling water, according to the package directions.
- Grate the zest from the lemon into a large bowl. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl.
- Add the Parmesan, pepper, a pinch of salt and olive oil to the lemon mixture to form a warm paste.
- When the spaghetti is cooked, scoop a cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain the spaghetti.
- Add a few tablespoons of pasta water to the lemon/Parmesan mixture. It works up the cheese and help the mixture cling to the spaghetti.
- Add the lemon mixture to the pasta and toss through.
- This is optional, but I like to squeeze some lemon juice and grind fresh black pepper over the whole dish.
- Finally, tear up some basil leaves into the mixture. Top off with shavings of Parmesan.
The lemon makes this dish so refreshing! And it’s great for a buffet or picnic because you can serve it cold!
THE PICNIC-Y FEEL OF THIS DISH CALLS FOR EASY-LISTENING, IN MY BOOKS.
So I’m going for some old-school smooth hip-hop. No one does smooth better than LL Cool J.
Then there’s this classic from Montel Jordan:
One of my all-time faves. I LOVE Common:
And this tune is always upbeat without being overpowering: