THERE ARE SO MANY VARIATIONS OF THIS CHINESE STAPLE. THIS IS MY FAVORITE. IT’S SO DELICIOUS, IT WILL SOON BECOME A STAPLE IN YOUR HOME.
It’s Jamie Oliver’s version. Here’s his recipe. I simplify it slightly.
HERE’S MY TAKE:
- 1 stock cube, preferably chicken
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 500g minced beef
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 300g egg fried noodles (or any noodles you have; we use gluten-free in our household)
- 4 heads of bok choy
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce (we use low-sodium)
- 3-4 dried chillis (or any small chilli, you can bear)
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 lime, halved
*Don’t forget to scroll down for your Savory Sounds cooking soundtrack.
- Boil a kettle of water.
- Pour the water into a pot over a high heat. Crumble your stock cube into the water. Bring back up to a boil. Add your noodles and prepare, as per package instructions.
- Place another pan over high heat and roast your chillis for a few minutes. Add the vegetable oil for a minute. Remove the oil and chilli from the pan and set aside.
- Add the beef to the same pan over a high heat. Cook until crispy brown (it takes about 10 minutes).
- Pour away any excess fat, then add the honey to the mince and toss until the beef is coated and sticky. Remove from the heat.
- When the noodles have 1 minute to go, throw in the bok choy.
- When they’re done, drain the noodles and veg in a colander, BUT reserve a cup of the cooking water. Tip your noodles, bok choy and the mugful of water back into the hot pan.
- Add your garlic, soy sauce and chilli oil to the noodles and mix well with tongs.
- Add the beef to the noodles.
- Squeeze lime juice generously over the dish. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve.
WHEN I’M TIRED AND I HAVE TO COOK, I RESORT TO MY TRIED AND TESTED EDM MIXES. OR ANYTHING OF THAT GENRE. HERE ARE A FEW OF MY NEW FAVES.
First, here’s one from Belgian duo Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike. I sleep and eat this track these days.
I’ve shared a Milkshake remix from Croatia Squad before. Here’s another.
And a great old one from Purple Disco Machine.