PLEASE try this at home. Roast chicken is one of THE go-to meals in our household.
It’s wholesome and healthy, BRILLIANT Jamie Oliver take on a dinner classic, where you roast the chicken in a pool of milk. Yes, you read that right.
Click here for Oliver’s recipe.
HERE’S MY TAKE:
- Serves 4, depending on size of chicken (and your appetite!)
- 1 whole chicken
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter (plus more, if needed)
- 1 good handful sage, leaves picked
- zest of 2 lemons
- half a lemon
- 10 cloves garlic, skin left on
- half liter milk
*Don’t forget to scroll down for your Savory Sounds cooking soundtrack.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F and find a deep-sided roasting dish for the chicken
- Put the chicken in the dish. Cover all sides with butter and season it generously all over.
Toss the garlic and sage into the pot.
- Grate the lemon zest all over the chicken, and around it.
- Add the milk around the chicken.
- Stuff the lemon half into the cavity of the chicken (if you have any extra sage, you can stuff that in too).
- Pop the chicken into the oven. Roast until the juices run clear. It should take an hour or so, depending on the size of the chicken.
- When the chicken is nearly done, put the oven on BROIL/GRILL for a few minutes to brown the chicken. It’ll look really lovely and fab!
The lemon zest is the secret ingredient. It splits the milk and creates a INCREDIBLY yummy gravy!
CHICKEN IN MILK IS COMFORT FOOD, so take comfort in these tracks. They’re not my usual heart-pumping tunes.
They’re a more loungey, but definitely not boring. Let’s start with a modern spin on a Marvin Gaye classic:
Unusually for me, this isn’t a remix, but I really love this song.
And to get you summer ready: